Tekion Services and You
How We Collect Your Information
We collect your information in several ways:
- From You. We collect certain Personal Information from you when you use our Services or website. The personal information that we collect may include your name, birth date or age, telephone number, and e-mail address. If you purchase Services from us, we may also request your credit card / debit card number or other financial information, along with billing information, so we can fulfill your order or request.
We do not require you to register or provide personal information to view our website or access much of its content, such as general information about our products or to view customer testimonials. However, you may be required to provide certain personal information, such as your full name, e-mail address, telephone number, and job title, to request a demonstration of or for more information about our Services.
If you visit our offices, you may be required to register as a visitor and to provide us with your name, email address, phone number, company name, and time and date of arrival.
When you use our Services, either directly through us or through a Vehicle Service Provider, we will also collect information created as you use the Service but that you may not provide directly to us, such as your location, usage information, and your preferences. These are discussed in detail below (See "What Information Do We Collect?" section below).
- From Vehicle Service Providers. From Vehicle Service Providers. Various entities engaged in the purchasing and selling automobiles may use our Services to provide you with goods and services (each such entity, a "Vehicle Service Provider"). We typically are a data processor for these Vehicle Service Providers, which may include automotive companies and their providers, original equipment manufacturers (or "OEMs"), parts suppliers, dealers, service stations, and transportation service providers, such as rental car companies, ride-hailing companies and concierge services. Vehicle Service Providers may provide Tekion and our service providers with personal information about you such as name, date of birth, vehicle purchases, vehicle preferences, vehicle service records, financial history (e.g., credit scores), credit card information, as well as information regarding any individuals who may guarantee or purchase or apply to purchase a vehicle with you. When we use this information as a data controller, we use it to improve our products and to understand our Customers’ needs.
- From a Device Associated with You or Your Household. You also passively provide us with information in other ways through technology. Some of this information may be linked to you personally. This information helps our websites and mobile services work correctly and supports our Customer marketing and analytical efforts to understand our Customers’ needs and to improve our products. Here are some examples:
See the "Your Choices" section below for information on how you can opt out of these behavioral tracking technologies and how we respond to web browser signals and other mechanisms that enable consumers to exercise choice about such tracking.
We may also collect information about your use of and interaction with the website and Services, including the webpages viewed, the date and time you visit the website or use the Services, the areas or pages of the website that you visit, the amount of time you spend viewing or using the website, the number of times you return to the website, other click-stream or site usage data, whether you open, forward, or click-through links, emails, and ads, and other website usage data. Collecting this information, and linking it with your Personal Information, for example, helps us to best tailor our website and enhance your online experience by saving your preferences while you are visiting a particular site, and to help identify site features, Services, advertisements, and offers that may be of particular interest to you.
- DeviceInformation: We collect technical information when you visit our websites or use our mobile applications or Services. This includes information such as your browser type, operating system, mobile device type and carrier, Internet service provider ("ISP"), device location, and Internet Protocol ("IP") address. We use this information to maintain the security of our Services, review compliance with our applicable usage terms, and to improve Customer and user experience of the Services.
- Social Media: Our website may use social media features, such as the Facebook "like" button, the "Tweet" button, and other sharing widgets ("Social Media Features"). Social Media Features may allow you to post information about your activities on our website to outside platforms and social networks. Social Media Features may also allow you to like or highlight information we have posted on our website or our branded social media pages. Social Media Features are either hosted by each respective platform or hosted directly on our website. To the extent the Social Media Features are hosted by the platforms themselves, and you click through to these from our websites, the platform may receive information showing that you have visited our websites. If you are logged in to your social media account, it is possible that the respective social media network can link your visit to our websites with your social media profile.
- Information Collected from Other Sources. We may obtain information about you from other sources, including commercially available sources such as data aggregators and public databases, or social networks that you use to connect with us. This information may include your name, demographic information, interests, and publicly observed data, such as from social media, online activity, and shopping behavior.
We may also collect information from third-party service providers whose products are integrated into our Services. The third-party provider of the integration may share certain information about your account with us. We may combine this information from other sources with the information we collect from you to help us tailor our Services to you and our Customers, and to improve our Services.
What Information Do We Collect?
We collect and receive several types of Personal Information directly from you via the Services and from Vehicle Service Providers. As discussed below, we may collect the following categories of Personal Information. However, not all categories may be collected about every individual:
- Personal identifiers, such as name and address
- Device and online identifiers and related information, such as telephone number and email address
- Internet, application, and network activity, such as cookie IDs and browser visits
- Government identifiers, such as national identification numbers and driver’s license numbers
- Demographic information, such as age and date of birth
- Financial information, such as credit and debit card numbers, and whether you have leased or purchased your vehicle
- Vehicle insurance information, such as policy numbers and insurer name
- Characteristics of protected classifications under state or federal law, such as gender and nationality
- Vehicle information, such as your license plate number, service history, vehicle diagnostics, driving patterns, and vehicle identification number (VIN)
- Purchase history information, such as Services or vehicles that you have bought
- Location information, such as your and your vehicle’s geo-location information that we receive from you or a Vehicle Service Provider
- Employment information, such as occupation, title, licenses and professional memberships
- Your interactions with us or a Vehicle Service Provider, such as phone calls that you may make to us on a recorded phone line, contacting us through our website, or your communications with a Vehicle Service Provider that takes place through our website or Tekion Cloud
- Individual preferences and characteristics, such as inferences related to shopping patterns and behaviors, including purchases and services requested, and service and vehicle preferences expressed by you to a Vehicle Service Provider
How We Use Your Information
We use your Personal Information in connection with the following activities:
- Providing and maintaining the Services
- Sharing Personal Information with Vehicle Service Providers to allow them to provide or maintain their goods and services using the Services
- Preventing or addressing service, security, and technical issues
- To protect the security and integrity of our websites, mobile services and our business, and to help prevent fraud
- To conduct business analysis, such as analytics, projections, and identifying areas for operational improvement
- Understanding, testing, researching, analyzing and improving the Services, including developing new Tekion products and services
- Provide news and marketing, including interest-based marketing and advertising, of Tekion products and new features, or other products and services that might be of interest to you. You can opt out of these communications at any time by contacting email@example.com
- Sharing Personal Information with Vehicle Service Providers to allow them to understand, research, and improve their goods and services
- Allowing third-party service providers to host, maintain and deliver the Services at our direction
- Responding to your requests and communications with us
- To inform you about changes in our Services and important Service-related notices, such as security and fraud notices. We may send these notifications to you by post, courier, email, SMS messages, to your social media accounts, or push notifications within our application ("Tekion Communications")
- To fulfill our legal function or obligations
To do the above, we combine personal and non-personal information, collected online and offline, including information from third-party sources such as Vehicle Service Providers. It helps us to improve the Services, develop new Services and to deliver a better and more personalized experience, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate your preferences and usage patterns
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize the Services according to individual interests
- Speed up searches or requests
- Suggest products and services of Vehicle Service Providers
- Recognize individuals returning to the Services or seeking products or services from a Vehicle Service Provider
- Improve the Services so as to promote a better individual experience and improve the quality of service from Vehicle Service Providers to you
Sharing and Disclosure
All of the categories of Personal Information that we collect are shared with other companies, including those within our corporate structure, for a business purpose. We do not sell or rent your Personal Information for money or other monetary benefit.
We may share your Personal Information in limited circumstances such as: to conduct our business; for other companies to offer you products; in the event all or a part of our business is merged, sold or reorganized; when legally required, as described below; or with your consent.
We will not share your Personal Information outside of our business, except in the following circumstances:
- With Our Business Partners. We may share your information with our business partners such as Vehicle Service Providers.
- With Third-Party Services Providers. We work with third-party service providers to perform services on our behalf, and we may share your information with them to help us support our business and the Services. For example, we may provide your information to third-parties to organize rides for you, to conduct surveys on our behalf or to process payments for our services. We require our service providers to keep your Personal Information secure.
- With Our Subsidiaries and Affiliates. We may share your information with our subsidiaries and affiliates to help us provide and improve the Services.
- With API and Integration Partners. If you choose to connect to our platform through an integration with a third-party service, we may share information about your use of our platform with that third-party. We may also share your information with third-party partners to create offers that may be of interest to you. We are however not responsible for how providers of an integration that you choose may collect, use, and share your information, and we encourage you to read their privacy policies before deciding whether to use their services.
- For Legal Reasons. We may share your information to comply with legal or regulatory requirements; to enforce our terms of service, user agreements, or other policies; and to protect and defend the rights, property, or safety of us, our Customers, Vehicle Service Providers or third-parties. This includes enforcing contracts or policies in connection with investigating and preventing fraud or in the event of a claim or dispute relating to your use of our Services.
- During Changes to Our Business Structure. We may share your information with third-parties and their advisors in connection with a merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, dissolution, reorganization, sale of some or all of Tekion’s assets, financing, sale of all or a portion of our business, a similar transaction or proceeding, or steps in contemplation of such activities (e.g. due diligence).
- Generally. To fulfill the purpose for which you provided your information, for any other purpose disclosed by us when you provided the information, or otherwise with your consent prior to sharing your Personal Information outside of Tekion.
Location of Data
Tekion is headquartered in the United States. We have entities, operations and service providers in the United States and throughout the world. We and our service providers may transfer your Information to, or access it from, countries other than the one in which you are located. These countries may have data protection laws different from those of the country which you are located. We will maintain appropriate administrative, physical, and technical safeguards to ensure an adequate level of protection of the Information for instance by entering into the appropriate back-to-back agreements and, if required, standard contractual clauses or an alternative mechanism for the transfer of data as approved by the European Commission (Art. 46 GDPR) or other applicable regulator.
You may have certain rights relating to your Personal Information, subject to local data protection laws. Depending on the applicable laws these rights may include the right to:
- Access and Correct Your Personal Information
You may send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
to request access to, correct or delete any Personal Information that you have provided to us. If you have a Customer account, we can delete your Personal Information only by deleting your Customer account. We may not accommodate a request to change information if we believe the change would violate any law or legal requirement or cause the information to be incorrect.
If you have any questions about your Personal Information, our use of this information, or your rights when it comes to any of the foregoing, please contact us at email@example.com
If you are a California resident, please refer to the "Your California Privacy Rights" section for additional information on your rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act.
- Tracking Options and California Do Not Track Disclosures
Certain parts of our website require cookies. You are free to set your Internet browser settings to stop accepting new cookies, to receive notice when you receive a new cookie, to disable existing cookies, and to omit images (which will disable pixel tags). To learn how to manage privacy and storage settings for Flash cookies, click here
On your mobile device, you may also adjust your privacy and advertising settings to control whether you want to receive more relevant advertising. By doing so, you may not be able to use certain features on the website or take full advantage of all of our offerings. On your mobile device, your operating system may provide you with options to opt out of interest-based advertising or to otherwise reset your mobile identifier. This is a unique identifier that can be used to identify a mobile device which works in a similar way to a cookie. For example, you may use the "Limit Ad Tracking" setting (on iOS devices) or a setting to "Opt out of Interest-Based Ads" (on Android) which allows you to limit the use of information about your use of apps for purposes of serving ads targeted to your interests.
Our system may not respond to Do Not Track requests or headers from some or all browsers. You can learn more about and opt out from receiving third-party advertiser cookies by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out page here
. Without cookies or pixel tags though, you may not be able to take full advantage of all of Tekion’s website features.
For more information about how we use different categories of cookies and similar technologies and your options for managing the data collection settings of these technologies, please click here
We do not control these third-parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly. However, where these third-parties’ tracking technology includes the "Ad Choices" icon or another mechanism to opt out of receiving interest-based advertisements, you may click on the AdChoices icon or visit www.aboutads.info
to receive more information about the collection and use of information about your online activities for interest based advertising or to learn how to opt out of having your data used for interest based advertising by Digital Advertising Alliance (DAA) participating companies.
- Canadian users can also visit www.youradchoices.ca
- European users can also visit www.youronlinechoices.com to learn how to opt out of having their data used for interest-based advertising by European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (EDAA) member companies.
- The Network Advertising Initiative’s (NAI) Opt-Out Tool at www.networkadvertising.org/choices allows you to opt out from the use of information about your online activities for interest-based advertising by NAI member companies.
- Marketing Preferences.
If we use your Personal Information for marketing purposes, you can opt-out by sending us an email stating your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also turn off push notifications on Tekion apps on your device or unsubscribe by contacting us at email@example.com
Please note that this opt out does not apply to information provided to us to process a product purchase, warranty registration, product service experience or other transactions.
- Your Rights Relating to Customer Data.
Where we hold or process your Personal Information as a data controller, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
to exercise your data rights.
We take security seriously. We take various steps to protect information you provide to us from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, alteration or disclosure. These steps take into account the sensitivity of the information we collect, process and store, and the current state of technology.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) login credentials or a password for access to the Services, you are responsible for keeping such login credentials and password confidential. We ask you not to share your login credentials or password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your Personal Information, we cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Information transmitted through use of the Services. Any transmission of Personal Information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures for the Services.
Our Services are not directed to children under 13 years of age, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13. If you are under 13, do not use the Services or provide any information in the Services, make any purchases through the Services, use any of the interactive features of the Services, or otherwise provide any information about yourself to us. If we learn we have collected or received Personal Information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you learn that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information without consent, please contact us at email@example.com
Your California Privacy Rights
Tekion provides services to other businesses, and in doing so, we may collect and process Personal Information on behalf of our Customers, including Personal Information of California residents. In this context, we are a service provider under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA). And as a service provider, we collect and process Personal Information on behalf of Customers in accordance with our contracts with them to provide the Services for which we are engaged. If you would like to exercise your rights under CCPA with respect to your Personal Information that we hold as a service provider for a Customer, please either (1) provide us the name of the Customer who submitted your data to us or (2) contact that Customer directly.
Where we hold or process your Personal Information as a business under CCPA, you can make certain requests to us regarding your Personal Information. We will fulfill each of these requests to the extent required by law:
- You can ask us what Personal Information we have about you, including a list of categories of your Personal Information that we have sold and a list of categories of your Personal Information that we have shared with another company for a business purpose.
- You can ask us to delete your Personal Information.
- You can ask that we stop selling your Personal Information.
More information on each of these requests is below.
- What Personal Information Do You Collect About Me? If you make this request, we will return to you (to the extent required by law):
You can ask us to provide you with this information up to two times in a rolling twelve-month period. When you make this request, the information provided may be limited to Personal Information we collected about you in the previous 12 months.
- The categories of Personal Information we have collected about you.
- The categories of sources from which we collect your Personal Information.
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling your Personal Information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share Personal Information.
- The specific Personal Information we have collected about you.
- A list of categories of Personal Information that we have sold, along with the category of any other company we sold it to. Any of the categories of Personal Information that we collect could be included in a sale to other companies, including those within our corporate structure. If we have not sold your Personal Information, we will inform you of that fact.
- A list of categories of Personal Information that we have disclosed for a business purpose, along with the category of any other company we shared it with.
- Delete My Personal Information. You have the right to ask that we delete your Personal Information. Once we receive a request, we will delete the Personal Information (to the extent required by law) we hold about you as of the date of your request from our records and direct any service providers to do the same. In some cases, deletion may be accomplished through de- identification of the information. Choosing to delete your Personal Information may impact your ability to use our websites and Services, including closure of your Customer account, and limit your use of Services require your Personal Information.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising your rights. This means we will not deny you goods or services, charge different prices or rates, provide a different level of service or quality of goods, or suggest that you might receive a different price or level of quality for goods for exercising your rights. Please know, if you ask us to delete or stop selling your data, it may impact your experience with us, and you may not be able to participate in certain programs or services which require usage of your Personal Information to function.
To exercise the California privacy rights described above, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Verifying Your Identity for Requests to Access or Delete Personal Information We take the privacy of your Personal Information seriously and want to ensure that we provide only you or your authorized agent with your Personal Information. As such, we verify the identity of each person who makes a request to access their Personal Information or to delete their Personal information.
To verify your identity, we ask you to provide your:
If you are submitting a request on behalf of another person, we require a valid power of attorney and a signed attestation form. If you do not have a valid power of attorney, we require written authorization from the consumer and a copy of the consumer’s government-issued photo identification.
or write to us at:
Tekion Data Protection Officer
5934 Gibraltar Drive,
Pleasanton, CA 94588
We are committed to working with you to obtain a fair resolution of any complaint or concern about privacy. If, however, you believe that we have not been able to assist with your complaint or concern, you may lodge a complaint with the applicable supervisory authority in your country. Please feel free to contact us if you need assistance identifying the supervisory authority.